Our Remote Learning offer using Microsoft Teams has been developed to ensure that students can access their normal timetabled lessons. Each lesson will have an easily labelled assignment which has simple written instructions accompanied by a pre-recorded video by the class teacher. The teacher will also be available via the posts stream during the allotted time. This enables students to access the lesson materials outside of the timetabled slot if necessary.
Live lessons are in addition to our core offer and trials will be taken place. If a live lesson is to be scheduled notice will be given the week before. Students will access the live element of the lesson through the assignment set by the teacher.
Microsoft is a worldwide organisation with a history of supporting educational technology. Hurworth has been using the Teams software since 2016 and it was rolled out to support ILT in 2017. During 2020 the number of Active Daily Users of Teams grew from 32 million at the beginning of the year to 75 million in April and 115 million as of November.
Whilst there may be outages during peak times; Teams is the perfect fit for Hurworth School.
Please watch the walkthrough video below to see the expected student experience.
Teams Walk Through
Hints & Tips
Hints & Tips
- Over 100 million people use Microsoft Teams EVERY DAY. There will be times, especially on an early morning when it will be slow. Please be patient.
- All lessons will appear as an “assignment” in Teams make sure that you click view assignment on the correct lesson at the correct time. Make sure that you watch the video first. Teachers are spending a lot of time in creating them to help you.
- When Teams is very busy documents will open in “read only mode” which means you will not be able edit. Please check for this at the top of a document and change if necessary.
- When contacting teachers please use the posts stream and tag your teacher by using @ TEACHERID the teacher will share their ID in the task. This will mean the teacher will receive a notification and can reply to you ASAP.
- When contacting teachers for help please be specific. Saying you are “stuck” , “confused” or “need help” will enable your teachers to help you.
- Teams is an educational tool and social media. If posts are not related to the lesson students may be muted.
- The majority of tasks will be completed within Teams using Word or PowerPoint online. Both pieces of software save automatically when you stop typing. Please take a couple of seconds to pause every now and then to enable this to happen.
- At busy times when the software is slow avoid pasting large images.
Students should follow their normal timetabled lessons following their bubbles times of the day.
|Period 4 cont.||1.40-2.25|
|Period 4 cont.||126.96.36.199|
|Period 2 cont.||10.55-11.25|
|Period 3 cont.||12.35-1.10|
|Period 2 cont.||11.10-11.25|
|Period 4 cont.||1.55-2.25|
|Period 2 cont.||10.40-11.25|
Please see below our Teams video guide and step by step walk-through.
Use an up-to-date Web Browser such as Google Chrome,
Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
We have had reported issues in the past with the
Safari browser so please do not use.
Navigate to the school website
Click on the pupil portal below the welcome graphic
Click on the link for Teams
Enter your school login details.
This is your 4-digit code followed by
You can find individual classes by clicking the Teams tab.
Each class has their own team. Which is identified by the code
at the end of the Team name.
For example: Co – Computing, En – English, Gy – Geography, Ma – Maths
If an assignment has been posted or a post added to the posts stream the text will be bold / a small red notification will appear
Once inside a team you will be presented with the posts stream.
Teachers may post tasks here.
Here students can ask sensible questions to their teacher
and fellow classmates.
Posts should be sensible. They cannot be deleted by students
and sanctions will be issued for misuse.
Click VIEW ASSIGNMENT to access the task
The assignment will include instructions from the teacher. They may share a selection of resources with you including demonstration videos, links to other websites and documents to read.
These will come under “Reference Materials.”
If the teacher wants you to work in a document online that they have provided click the document under “My Work” and carry out the task in the online document on Teams.
Do not download and work on the document and re-upload it.
If the teacher wants you to create your own document to
complete the task click on
“Add work” > New File > Word Document or
Name the document the title of the task and click attach.
You will now be able to open the document and work online in Teams.
Do not download and work on the document and reupload it.
Alternatively the Teams app can be
downloaded on smartphones and tablets.
Download “Microsoft Teams” from either the
Apple app store or Google Play Store.
Students must use their school login details.
This is your 4-digit code followed by
What is Microsoft Office Lens?
Microsoft Office Lens is a free app on Android and iOS that allows users to scan in copies of documents and whiteboards, and input them into other applications.
Take photos of physical tasks
If taking photographs for tasks which cannot be completed online such as Art please download Microsoft Office Lens from either the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Office Lens converts a photo of a document into “scan quality” by removing shadows and off angles so that images are easier to read.
Choose a mode
As soon as you open Office Lens, you can choose your mode. Please press photo if you have drawn an image or Document if you have a piece of work which is mainly text.
Take a picture
Choose whether or not to use a flash, and then make sure the frame lines up with the item you want to capture. Use the Camera button to take a picture. If you prefer, you can import an existing image from the local gallery on your device. If you want to retake the photo, tap the Trash button icon to delete it, then tap the Take More button to retake the displayed image. If you want to take more photos, tap the Take More button.
Review and edit
You can edit your image before you save it so it’s exactly the way you want it to be. Tap the Crop icon to trim away any parts of the image that you don’t need.
When you’re happy with your edits, please save the document to your device only. Ignore options for OneDrive or OneNote.
What is Immersive Reader?
Immersive Reader re-formats text so that it is accessible to all. It also reads out text at a pace that suits the user.
How do I turn it on?
In Teams and Outlook look for the Immersive Reader icon (open book with speaker)
In Word Online & Word 365 click view > Immersive Reader
What are the features?
The immersive reader allows you to change:
- Background and text colour
- Text spacing and layout
The immersive reader can:
- Use focus mode to hide all but the sentence you need
- Read text aloud
- Highlight syllables