Tutor Reading Programme
We have recently launched our Tutor Reading programme where students can enjoy a text by listening or following on whilst their form tutor reads to them.
- It has been proven that when we read to students, fluency barriers disappear meaning those who may struggle with reading can still experience the story and be exposed to rich cultural topics and a wealth of vocabulary.
- Reading aloud aids comprehension because of the way teachers read. Our modelled reading helps students understand where emphasis should be placed in the text and helps students to experience the drama intended by the writer.
- Reading began as a social phenomenon where families would sit together and read for pleasure. This is sometimes lost in the age of the Smart phone and Social Media – we want to recapture that magic!
WHICH BOOKS ARE ON OFFER?
Our selection of books have been specifically chosen to ensure students are exposed to a mixture of books that:
- Support, supplement or extend curriculum provision
- Are fiction and non-fiction
- Are contemporary and classic
- Are diverse and inclusive – female writers. BAME, LGBTQ+
- Are simply fantastic books that we can learn a lot from!
Please take a look at our selection below and ask your child which book they are reading
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9||Year 10|
|*The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank||Fat Boy Swim by Catherine Forde||The Pearl by John Steinbeck||Heroes by Robert Cormier|
|Holes by Louis Sachar||*Boy by Roald Dahl||Stone Cold by Robert Swindells||*I am Malala (autobiography)|
|The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively||The Crysalids by John Wyndham||Animal Farm by George Orwell||They both die at the end by Adam Silvera|
|War Horse by Michael Morpergo||Face by Benjamin Zephaniah||The Book Thief by Markus Zusak||Lord of the Flies by William Golding|
|Coraline by Neil Gaiman||*Mud, Sweat and Tears by Bear Grylls||Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman||*Shakespeare: The World as a Stage by Bill Bryson|
|The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett||A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness||*Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly||Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett|
* = non-fiction